Fall is upon us, and for many families that means fall sports. How as parents do we support our young athletes? How do we encourage them to partake in the best of sports — perseverance, grit, physical fitness — and discourage the sometimes-negative aspects: destructive competitiveness, insecurity, and ego? In Episode 51, Christine and Asha share 8 strategies for sane sports parenting.
Talk to us
- Leave a comment on the Edit Your Life Facebook page
- Talk to us on Instagram or Twitter using #EditYourLifeShow
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Minimalist Parenting
- Edit Your Life Episode 29: Editing Extracurricular Pressure
- Edit Your Life Episode 30: Parenting Passionate Kids
- Awesome sportsmanship = Runners who helped each other after dramatic fall hailed as symbols of Olympic spirit (CBS News)
- Not awesome sportsmanship = Hope Solo rips Swedish team as ‘cowards’ in sour-grapes rant (New York Post)
- Consequences = Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte suspended for 10 months and world championships (USA Today)
- Oh the patriarchy = Gabby Douglas, her Olympics over, tearfully responds to social media critics (Washington Post)
- Edit Your Life Episode 32: Letting Kids Experience Risk
- Edit Your Life Episode 26: How To Get Kids To Do Chores
- Edit Your Life Episode 10: How To Handle Homework
- Edit Your Life Episode 47: Helping Kids Through The Election Season
- Ilovetowatchyouplay.com (a site devoted to sane sports parenting!)
Interested in sponsorship?
We’ve got an awesome range of lifestyle, parenting and productivity topics in the queue for future episodes. If you’d like to discuss sponsoring an episode, email us at email@example.com.
Catch up on previous episodes
Here’s a complete listing of every episode.